Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yeah, she's famous. . .

I finally got a copy of Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids yesterday! And yes, I can confirm that Allie is in the book along with some little thing I wrote. YAY! I'm so happy!


The photographer is Kip Fulbeck - I've been a fan of Kip's since he came out with his first book, Part Asian, 100% Hapa.  He's half-Chinese and someone who really understands the experience of bring "mixed."  He's an artist and a professor at UCSB. Anyway, I was thrilled enough to just to get to meet the guy, let alone have him photograph Allie. He was really good with the kids, but Allie was a bit shy around him which I think he captured in the photo.



There is also an exhibition of some of the photographs at the Japanese American National Museum in LA which ends this month.  I'm sad I didn't get the chance to see it!  Also, there is an interview floating around with Kip on the book and the interviewer actually mentions Allie :). 
Mixed Kids Interview

This is all very exciting for me - this book and the people who care about these things didn't exist for me when I was growing up.  That's why I'm incredibly thrilled to be a part of all this - I've wanted to be involved with things like this for years.  The sad irony is that Allie probably won't think so much of it when she grows up since she lives in HawaiĘ»i where being "mixed" is the norm.

Anyway, look for your copy of the book around Christmas time  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment